If you’re looking for a flexible side hustle that allows you to make extra money on your own schedule, DoorDash might be worth considering.
As the largest food delivery service in the U.S., DoorDash offers drivers the opportunity to earn up to $25 per hour while on delivery. With the ability to deliver via car, bicycle, scooter, or even on foot in some markets, DoorDash provides a convenient way to earn extra cash.
However, before deciding whether or not DoorDash is worth it for you, it’s important to consider if DoorDash is worth it. While DoorDash offers drivers the flexibility to choose their own hours and work as much or as little as they want, there are also potential downsides to the job, such as fuel costs and vehicle depreciation.
That’s why this article will provide an honest review of DoorDash and help you determine if it’s the right opportunity for you.
Whether you’re a student looking to make some extra cash or someone who wants to supplement their income, it makes sense that you’re looking into DoorDash as a possible option. In this article, I’ll take a closer look at the benefits and drawbacks of driving for DoorDash, as well as provide tips on how to maximize your earnings.
What is DoorDash?
DoorDash is a food delivery service that partners with local restaurants to bring food straight to your door. The company was founded in 2013 and has quickly grown to become one of the largest food delivery services in the United States. DoorDash operates in over 4,000 cities across the US, Canada, and Australia.
DoorDash offers a variety of options for customers, including delivery from restaurants, grocery stores, and convenience stores. Customers can browse menus and place orders through the DoorDash app or website.
DoorDash drivers, known as Dashers, then pick up the order and deliver it to the customer.
One of the unique features of DoorDash is that it offers a variety of delivery options to customers. Customers can choose between standard delivery, which typically takes 30-45 minutes, or they can choose DashPass, which offers free delivery on eligible orders.
Is DoorDash worth it?
On the question of whether DoorDash is worth it for making extra money, it depends. If you’d like flexibility in working whenever you want and believe the car costs will still make it worthwhile for you, then go for it. On the other hand, it can be very demanding and other side hustles can be more lucrative.
Here are some things to consider:
- Earning potential: DoorDash drivers can make $15 to $25 per hour, on average. However, this varies depending on factors such as location, time of day, and demand. It’s important to keep in mind that you’ll need to cover your own expenses, such as gas and maintenance, so your actual take-home pay will be lower.
- Flexibility: One of the biggest advantages of driving for DoorDash is the flexibility it offers. You can choose when and where you want to work, which makes it a great option for those who need to work around other commitments.
- Workload: DoorDash can be a demanding job, especially during peak hours when there’s a lot of demand. You’ll need to be prepared to work long hours and deal with traffic, parking, and other challenges.
- Competition: DoorDash is a popular gig economy job, which means there’s a lot of competition for orders. You’ll need to be quick and efficient to make the most of your time on the road.
Overall, DoorDash can be a good option for, say, those looking to make money in grad school or any other time in your life when you have other commitments. However, it’s important to weigh the pros and cons and make sure it’s the right fit for you.
How much do you make with DoorDash?
Part-time DoorDash drivers can expect to make anywhere from $1,200 to $2,000 per month, while full-time drivers can make $2,400 to $4,000 per month. Glassdoor reports that the average monthly earnings for DoorDash drivers is $2,645.
It’s worth noting, however, that these figures don’t take into account expenses like gas, maintenance, and wear and tear on your vehicle. So while DoorDash can be a lucrative side gig, it’s important to crunch the numbers and make sure it’s worth it for you.
Because, of course, one of the most important factors to consider when deciding whether or not becoming a DoorDash driver is worth it is how much money you can expect to make. The figures above can provide some guidance, although the exact amount you’ll earn will depend on a variety of factors, including your location, the time of day you work, and how many orders you accept.
One way to boost your earnings as a DoorDash driver is to take advantage of the company’s Top Dasher program, which rewards drivers who meet certain qualifications with additional perks like higher pay and priority access to orders. To become a Top Dasher, you’ll need to maintain a customer rating of at least 4.7 and an acceptance rate of at least 70%.
Another way to maximize your earnings is to work during peak times, when demand for deliveries is highest. Peak times on DoorDash are roughly aligned with meal times, from 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. and 4:30 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. By working during these times, you may be able to earn more money per delivery to even make $100 a day, if not more!
DoorDash Driver Reviews
As a potential DoorDash driver, it’s important to understand the experiences of current and former drivers. Here are some key takeaways from DoorDash driver reviews:
- Flexibility: Many drivers appreciate the flexibility that DoorDash offers. You can work when you want, for as long as you want, and there are no minimum hours required.
- Pay: Pay varies depending on the market, time of day, and other factors. Some drivers report earning $20 or more per hour, while others report earning closer to minimum wage. It’s important to keep in mind that pay does not include expenses such as gas and maintenance.
- Support: Some drivers have reported frustration with DoorDash’s support system. Long wait times on hold and unhelpful representatives have been cited as issues.
- Competition: With more and more people signing up to be DoorDash drivers, some drivers have reported increased competition for orders. This can lead to longer wait times for orders and less money earned per hour.
As you can probably tell, reviews of DoorDash as a delivery job are mixed. While some drivers enjoy the flexibility and potential for decent pay, others have experienced frustration with support and competition.
This is why it’s key for you to weigh the pros and cons carefully before deciding if DoorDash is worth it for you.
How does DoorDash work for drivers?
As a DoorDash driver, also known as a Dasher, you are an independent contractor who delivers food from restaurants to customers. You can work as much or as little as you want, and you get to keep 100% of your tips.
Here’s how it works:
- First, you’ll need to sign up to be a Dasher on the DoorDash website or through the mobile app.
- Once you’re approved, you’ll be able to log in to the app and start accepting delivery requests in your area.
- When you receive a delivery request, you’ll see the restaurant name, the customer’s address, and the estimated payout for the delivery.
- You can choose to accept or decline the request. If you accept, you’ll be given directions to the restaurant and the customer’s address.
- After you pick up the food from the restaurant, you’ll deliver the order to the customer’s address. You’ll need to confirm that you’ve delivered the food in the app.
- Once the delivery is complete, you’ll receive payment for the delivery and any tips the customer has left for you.
DoorDash pays drivers a base pay for each delivery, which varies depending on the market and the distance of the delivery. You’ll also receive 100% of the tips customers leave for you.
What’s great is that DoorDash guarantees a minimum payout for each delivery, so if the customer doesn’t tip enough to meet that minimum, DoorDash will make up the difference.
Overall, DoorDash can be a great way to make extra money on your own schedule, making it easily one of the best weekend jobs to earn extra cash. However, it’s important to remember that as an independent contractor, you are responsible for your own expenses, such as gas and car maintenance. Make sure to track your expenses and keep good records for tax purposes.
How to Sign Up to Become a DoorDash Driver
Becoming a DoorDash driver is a straightforward process that can be completed within a few minutes. Here are the steps you need to follow to sign up and start driving:
- Go to the DoorDash website and click on the “Become a Dasher” button. You will be asked to enter your email address, phone number, and zip code to register.
- Submit your profile information, including your full name and password.
- Select your vehicle type. If you select a car, you will be asked to add your vehicle details, including your state, driver’s license number, and insurance information.
- Upload your ID. DoorDash works with a company called Persona to verify your identity.
- Complete the background check. DoorDash will run a background check on you to ensure that you have a clean driving record and no criminal history.
- Download the DoorDash app. Once you are approved, you will receive a link to download the DoorDash app. The app is available for both iOS and Android devices.
- Start driving. Once you have downloaded the app, you can start accepting delivery requests and earning money.
Don’t worry if you don’t get accepted straight away, as the approval process can take up to two weeks, depending on your location and the volume of applications DoorDash is receiving. However, once you are approved, you can start driving and earning money right away.
In addition, DoorDash offers a comprehensive support system for its drivers, including in-app chat support, a dedicated phone line, and a help center with articles and videos that address common issues and questions.
You may also be interested in: 41 Easy Ways to Make an Extra $500 a Month
Requirements to Become a DoorDash Driver
Becoming a DoorDash driver is a great way to earn extra cash on your own schedule. However, before you can start delivering food, you need to meet certain requirements.
Here are the requirements to become a DoorDash driver:
- Age: You must be at least 18 years old to become a DoorDash driver.
- Vehicle: You need a reliable vehicle to make deliveries. DoorDash accepts cars, bikes, and scooters. In some markets, you may even be allowed to walk. Make sure to check what is permitted in your area through the app.
- Driver’s License and Insurance: You need a valid driver’s license and auto insurance to become a DoorDash driver. You also need at least one year of driving experience.
- Smartphone: You need an iPhone or Android smartphone to use the DoorDash app. Certain jailbroken or rooted phones may have trouble accessing the Dasher app.
- Background Check: You must pass a background check to become a DoorDash driver. DoorDash will check for any DUI, assault, reckless driving, or several other offenses within the last 7 years. If you have a criminal record, it may affect your ability to become a DoorDash driver.
- Social Security Number: If you plan on driving in the U.S., you need a social security number to become a DoorDash driver.
If you meet all of the requirements, you can sign up to become a DoorDash driver. Once you’ve been approved, you can start accepting delivery requests and earning money on your own schedule.
Also, I should mention that DoorDash driver requirements may vary depending on your location. Make sure to check the specific requirements in your area before signing up.
What are the pros and cons of doing DoorDash?
There are several pros to doing DoorDash:
- Flexible Schedule: DoorDash allows you to work whenever you want, giving you the freedom to set your own schedule.
- Easy to Get Started: Getting started with DoorDash is simple and straightforward. All you need to do is sign up, pass a background check, and start delivering.
- Potential to Earn Good Money: DoorDash drivers can earn up to $25 per hour, depending on the market and the time of day.
- Opportunities for Bonuses: DoorDash offers bonuses for completing a certain number of deliveries or driving during peak hours.
- Good Customer Base: DoorDash has a large customer base, which means there is always demand for deliveries.
However, there are also a few cons to doing DoorDash:
- Low Pay: While DoorDash offers the potential to earn good money, some drivers report that they don’t make as much as they could with other delivery services.
- Customer Service Issues: DoorDash’s customer service is not always great, which can make it difficult to resolve issues or get help when you need it.
- Difficult Customers: As with any customer service job, you may have to deal with difficult customers who are unhappy with their orders or the service they received.
- Wear and Tear on Your Vehicle: Delivering for DoorDash can put a lot of wear and tear on your vehicle, which can be expensive to repair.
- Insurance and Liability Issues: As an independent contractor, you are responsible for your own insurance and liability, which can be a significant expense.
Overall, DoorDash can be a good option for those looking for a flexible side hustle with the potential to earn good money. However, it’s important to weigh the pros and cons before deciding if it’s right for you.
Find out more about: 29 Quick Tips on How to Make $300 Fast
How to Make More Money with DoorDash
As a DoorDash driver, you want to maximize your earnings. Here are some tips to help you make more money:
One of the easiest ways to make more money with DoorDash is to multi-app. This means you can work for multiple delivery apps at the same time.
By doing this, you can increase your chances of getting more orders and making more money.
2. Be Selective
Don’t accept every order that comes your way. Be selective and choose orders that will pay you well. Remember, your time is valuable, so don’t waste it on orders that won’t pay you enough.
3. Schedule Wisely
Choose your delivery times wisely. Consider delivering during peak hours when there are more orders and higher demand. This can help you make more money in less time.
4. Accept Promotions
DoorDash often offers promotions to drivers. These promotions can include bonuses for completing a certain number of deliveries or for delivering during specific times. Always accept these promotions to make more money.
5. Optimize Your Route
Plan your delivery route to minimize your driving distance and time. This can help you complete more deliveries in less time and make more money.
6. Keep Your Expenses Low
Try to keep your expenses low by using a fuel-efficient car and minimizing your driving time. This can help you save money and make more profit.
7. Provide Excellent Service
Provide excellent service to your customers. This can help you get better ratings and receive more tips, which can increase your earnings.
By following these tips, you can make more money with DoorDash and increase your earnings as a delivery driver.
Is DoorDash Worth It as a Side Job?
DoorDash is worth it as a side job thanks largely to its flexibility, especially the fact that you can work as much or as little as you want, and you can choose which orders to accept. However, this is subject to whether you consider that the pay is worth the time and effort you put in.
The flexibility is definitely what makes a lot of people say that DoorDash is worth it as a side hustle, as it makes it easy to fit DoorDash around your other commitments, whether you’re a student, a stay-at-home parent, or have another part-time job.
However, it’s important to note that the pay for DoorDash can vary depending on a number of factors, including the time of day, the location, and the complexity of the order. While some Dashers report earning up to $23 per hour, others may only make a few dollars per delivery.
To maximize your earnings as a Dasher, it’s important to be strategic about the orders you accept. Look for orders that are close to your current location, and consider the time it will take to complete the delivery. You may also want to focus on peak times, such as during lunch or dinner hours, when there is more demand for deliveries.
Another big factor to consider when deciding if DoorDash is worth it as a side job is the expenses involved. As a Dasher, you’ll need to use your own vehicle to make deliveries, which can add up in terms of gas and maintenance costs.
It’s important to factor these expenses into your earnings to determine whether it’s worth it for you.
Basically, DoorDash can be a great side job for some people, but it’s important to carefully consider the pay and expenses involved before deciding if it’s right for you. By being strategic about the orders you accept and factoring in expenses, you can maximize your earnings and make the most of your time as a Dasher.
Is DoorDash Worth It After Taxes?
As a DoorDash driver, you need to consider the impact of taxes on your earnings. While DoorDash can be a lucrative side hustle, it’s important to understand the tax implications to determine if it’s worth it for you. When evaluating if DoorDash is worth it after taxes, it’s important to consider both federal and state taxes.
Federal taxes include income tax and FICA tax, while state taxes vary by location. FICA tax, which stands for Federal Income Insurance Contributions Act, covers taxes in the Social Security and Medicare sector.
On the other hand, income tax covers a greater percentage of your earnings and varies based on your income bracket.
One benefit of being a DoorDash driver is that tax expenses are deductible. This means that you can deduct expenses such as gas, car maintenance, and phone bills from your taxable income.
However, it’s important to keep accurate records of your expenses to ensure that you are taking advantage of all possible deductions. It’s also important to consider the impact of taxes on your overall profitability as a DoorDash driver.
While you may earn $23 per hour on average, you must account for fuel costs and vehicle depreciation when calculating your profitability.
Is DoorDash Worth It After Gas?
Gas prices have been on the rise, and this has been a concern for many DoorDash drivers. The cost of gas can significantly eat into your earnings, making it difficult to determine if DoorDash is worth it. However, research has shown that, across the country, DoorDash drivers make on average $15.57 an hour.
It’s important to note that the amount you make will depend on several factors, including your location, the time of day, and the number of orders you complete. Additionally, DoorDash offers incentives such as peak pay and bonuses that can help increase your earnings.
One way to make DoorDash more profitable is to keep track of your gas expenses. You can use an app like GasBuddy to find the cheapest gas stations in your area. Additionally, you can consider driving a car with better gas mileage to reduce your expenses.
Another thing to consider is Dasher Direct, a program that DoorDash offers to help drivers save money on gas. With Dasher Direct, DoorDash drivers can earn up to 10% cashback on gas purchases made with a linked debit card. While this program is not always available, it’s worth keeping an eye out for.
In conclusion, while gas prices can be a concern, DoorDash can still be worth it for many drivers. By keeping track of your expenses and taking advantage of programs like Dasher Direct, you can increase your earnings and make DoorDash more profitable.
You may also be interested in: 7 People Who Make $10,000 a Month Just From Their Side Hustle
Is DoorDash Worth It in a Small Town?
Driving for DooDash in a small town may mean you don’t have as many orders as in a larger city, and you might have to drive further to complete deliveries. However, there are still some benefits to working for DoorDash in a small town, notably the fact that you’ll likely have less competition from other drivers.
That is, in a small town, there might not be as many people working for DoorDash, which means you’ll have a better chance of getting more orders. Plus, you might be able to establish yourself as a reliable and efficient driver, which could lead to more tips and repeat customers.
Another advantage of working for DoorDash in a small town is that you might be able to earn more per delivery. Since there might not be as many drivers, you might be able to negotiate higher pay for each delivery.
Additionally, you might be able to complete more deliveries in a shorter amount of time, since there won’t be as much traffic or as many busy restaurants to deal with.
That said, and as touched up a bit earlier, there are also some drawbacks to working for DoorDash in a small town. For one thing, there might not be as many orders available, which means you might have to wait longer between deliveries.
Additionally, you might have to drive further to reach customers, which could increase your expenses and cut into your profits.
Final thoughts on whether being a DoorDasher is worth it
So, is DoorDash worth it? It really depends on your situation and what you’re looking for. As a driver looking for a way to make extra cash, DoorDash can be a good option.
With flexible hours and the ability to work whenever you want, you can earn money while still having time for other things in your life. However, you need to consider the costs associated with driving, including fuel and vehicle depreciation, when calculating your profitability.
It’s also important to note that DoorDash has changed its pay model in recent years, which has resulted in lower overall pay for some drivers. While the company claims that this change was made to promote fairness across the platform, it’s still something to keep in mind if you’re considering becoming a driver.
As with anything, whether or not DoorDash is worth it depends on your individual needs and circumstances. But overall, if you’re looking for a flexible side hustle, DoorDash can be a good option. Just make sure you carefully consider the costs and potential earnings before making a decision.