If you’re looking for a way to make some quick money while tidying things up a bit, then you may want to look into trying to sell stuff online. Fortunately, there are a bunch of websites to sell stuff locally that you can use to hand over your unwanted items – and get cash in return!
Of course, as with anything done face-to-face involving the internet, you need to make sure that you stay safe and avoid getting scammed as you consider the different apps to sell stuff. Even though there are plenty of online buying and selling sites, some of them are not necessarily going to be legitimate – which is why I’ve only focused on the legit ones in this article.
You’ll also find some tips on how to have a smooth transaction. That means no scams and no getting ripped off.
So if you are looking for the best used items for sale websites, take a look at the list below.
Best websites to sell stuff locally
If you are looking for online buying and selling sites, there are several options from which to choose. These include:
If you are looking for a website that will eliminate a hassle for you, you may want to take a closer look at Decluttr.
One of the major benefits of using this application is that you don’t have to worry about seeking out buyers. You can scan your item’s barcode using the mobile application – which, by the way, is available on both iPhone and Android devices.
After this, you will submit your electronics on the application. You will get an instant quote, at which point you can either accept or reject the offer. Then, if you accept the offer, you will have a prepaid shipping label so that you can send your items to Decluttr for free.
A few key points include:
- You can get cash for your unwanted items immediately.
- You do not have to worry about paying for shipping, as Decluttr is going to give you a prepaid shipping label.
- All payments are processed quickly, ensuring you get paid as fast as possible.
If you don’t want the hassle of trying to find buyers, then Decluttr could be the option for you.
Create your free Decluttr account here.
Another option that you may want to consider is called Swappa. This is an online marketplace that has been made specifically for selling electronics.
Just keep in mind that this is not a website that you can use to sell broken or well-used items. However, if the devices you’re selling actually work, this is one of the most convenient platforms for sellers.
They do not charge you any fees, and you get paid via PayPal. In addition, there are multiple applications available that you can use to create your listing. A few key points include:
- Sellers do not have to pay any fees, which means you will get paid more money per sale.
- Buyers also do not pay any fees on items that are priced under $50.
- All sales are paid immediately via PayPal.
Keep in mind that you may have to pay for shipping if you use this application. Make sure you budget accordingly.
Sign up for Swappa for free here to see how much money you can make from your old devices.
If you’re looking to sell secondhand clothing, my pick for the best website to sell stuff locally is Poshmark.
It’s a social media platform that is focused on selling fashion items. This could include shoes, clothing, and other accessories. Essentially, you can use this application to turn your closet into instant cash.
(You can even check out this article on what sells best on Poshmark to see how to get the most bang for your buck.)
Our Poshmark review has the full guide on how to sell on this site. However, in summary, to use this application, you can download the application available for Android or iPhone devices. If you make a sale, the application will even give you a prepaid shipping label. That way, you can drop off your package at your local USPS for free.
A few key points to note include:
- This is a mobile application that specializes in helping you sell clothing items.
- If you make a sale, you will have access to a free shipping label that you can drop off at your local USPS.
- You can also have your package picked up from home if you prefer.
Just keep in mind that while you can sell to people in your local area, Poshmark doesn’t have an option for you to meet up in person to handover an item. If you do that, you won’t get any buyer protection that standard online sales get and even risk having your account cancelled. Instead, the fact you have local drop off to USPS of any sold items or even pick up directly from your house by the courier makes this a great local option – just maybe not in the typical sense.
There is a fee for sales that you make on this application. The fee is $3 for all items under $15 and 20 percent of the sale price of items over $15.
If you’ve ever tried to buy or sell stuff online, then you’re almost guaranteed to have come across Craigslist. It’s one of the biggest websites to sell stuff locally in the world, with basically any item or service you can think of being for sale on there. This makes it particularly good if you find that you need money today, as there’s a massive pool of potential buyers on here.
All items listed for sale on Craigslist are fee with a few exceptions, as you can see here,
And of course, given Craigslist generally involves meeting up in person to collect an item (and as with all online buying and selling sites), this means that it’s important to be very careful about your own safety. While it can be a great place to pick up a bargain or offload something you’ve been trying to sell for ages, Craigslist scams certainly exist. To help you avoid these, check out some of the tips later in this article.
Ebay is another one of the best websites to sell stuff locally as you can essentially sell whatever you want to wherever in the world you want to target buyers. It’s another option where you can sell basically anything, whether it’s more generic stuff or even higher value items and collectibles, including that it’s one of the best places to sell baseball cards, for example.
This includes that it has the option of allowing for items to be exchanged between buyers and sellers in-person, which can be a nice way to avoid shipping fees. Of course, this means that your potential pool of buyers will be much smaller than eBay’s traditional target market (which is everyone, anywhere) but depending on the piece, this could be much easier for everyone involved.
Related: Poshmark vs Mercari vs eBay: Where to Make Money Selling Clothes Online?
BuyBackBoss is another option you may want to consider if you are looking for somewhere to sell your items for free. This is an application that has been specifically designed to purchase phones in any condition. Even if the phone is completely broken and shattered, you may still be able to get a few dollars for it.
This application is designed to offer competitive prices. From there, you will be paid quickly via either PayPal or check for any devices that you sell. There is a long list of items that the mobile application accepts. A few examples include:
- Samsung smartphones and mobile devices
- Google Pixel smartphones and devices
- Apple watches
Because you are selling your items to the application directly, you do not have to worry about paying a fee. This could be a great option for you if you are looking for a way to get rid of old electronics.
If you’re looking to sell some secondhand clothes and would really rather do this face-to-face, meaning Poshmark isn’t quite what you’re looking for, why not check out Vinted.
It works much like Poshmark in that you can list your clothes for sale on there to attract potential buyers. However, Vinted comes with the option for you to do an in-person meet up if you and the buyer live close to one another.
If you do that, one of the advantages is that you can cancel the listing on Vinted so you don’t have to pay seller fees. Otherwise, Vinted’s terms provide that all meet up sales are final, so no refunds allowed given that this gives the buyer the chance to personally inspect the piece.
What is the safest way to sell items online?
If you are selling your items online, you need to make sure you do not fall victim to a scam. This means selecting a legit website that has a guarantee of payment once you sell an item and taking some precautions, including not sharing any personal details about yourself.
If you are unwilling to pay a commission on the sale of the item or if you’re focusing only on websites to sell stuff locally, then you may have to meet with the buyer in person.
If you need to meet up with someone, pick a public location so other people are around if things take a turn for the worse. For example, you may want to meet at a police station or even a very busy cafe so that you know there is very little chance of the item being stolen from you without payment.
In addition, you should only bring enough cash if you think you have to give change to the other person. Unless you need your debit and credit cards, you should leave them at home. That way, you do not have to worry about these getting stolen either.
Consider bringing someone with you. Safety is in numbers and you’re much less likely to have something happen to you if you’re two against one.
Finally, do not give out your personal information unless you absolutely have to for some exceptional reason. That way, you do not have to worry about falling victim to identity theft.
Where can I sell my stuff online for free?
If you are looking for websites to sell items online for free, there are several options. Even though some of the online buying and selling sites out there are going to charge you a fee for selling your items, there are other locations where you do not have to worry about paying anything.
A few examples include:
- Facebook Marketplace: The first option you may want to consider is Facebook Marketplace. This is one of the most popular websites to buy and sell items given that a significant number of people use Facebook Marketplace every month, including due to the fact that it’s one of the best websites to sell stuff, like selling pokemon cards for example, locally. Therefore, you will instantly have access to an active audience. It is free for you to list your items as Facebook does not take any fees, although there are several guidelines, so you need to follow them if you want to sell on this platform.
- Varage Sale: As the name suggests, this is an opportunity to engage in a virtual garage sale. It was started in Toronto by a teacher and has quickly expanded to other locations. You can take a look at the ratings of each individual buyer and seller. That way, you can figure out who you are dealing with before you make a sale. You can sell everything from shoes to furniture, clothing, and more. This is also a free listing site you can use.
- Craigslist: Often, when people think about buying and selling items online, they usually think about Craigslist. It was started in 1995 and has grown quickly throughout the years. It is free, easy to use, and provides you with access to a large local forum to sell a lot of items. It is, however, a higher-risk online marketplace, so you need to make sure you do not fall victim to any scams. This could be a great site if you are looking to sell locally.
- Nextdoor: This is an application that is similar to Facebook Marketplace in Craigslist. It is focused on selling to your friendly Neighbor Next Door. You can post about what is going on in your neighborhood; however, there’s also a free form you can use to sell your items online. There are no listing fees, but you will have to meet the buyer in person. Because you need to make an account, it feels a bit safer than some other options.
These are just a few of the options you may want to consider if you are looking for a way to sell your items online for free. You also might want to check out some of the items that are being sold on these platforms before you decide if they are right for you.
How do I sell things online locally?
There are several tips you should keep in mind when selling things online locally. These include:
- Choose a platform. First, you need to choose the right platform. Are you willing to do everything yourself? If so, you may want to use one of the free online selling apps listed above. Are you looking for a way to save time? If so, you may want to go through one of the websites to sell stuff locally that offers a broker service, which will charge a fee but will also take care of most of the process for you.
- Be descriptive. Next, you need to be as descriptive as possible. Remember that you are going to be competing with other sellers. Take good pictures, use flashy words that also incorporate terms that potential buyers may be using to search for your item, and try to keep everything concise so that people actually read it.
- Be personable. If you are interacting with a potential buyer, be personable. Try to respond as quickly as possible. Be friendly as well. If the buyer is making a request, try to accommodate it if you think this is fair. This will increase your chances of closing the sale.
- Don’t share any information about yourself except what’s needed. While most online sales go ahead without a problem, you should always be a bit wary when it comes to interacting with people online. Most people are probably fine, but better to be safe than sorry.
- Take certain precautions if you’re meeting in person. This is especially the case when you’re planning to sell things online locally, which suggests that you’ll have to meet with them face-to-face. In those cases, follow the tips mentioned earlier in this article to stay safe.
How can I sell something online without getting scammed?
When you sell something online, you must make sure you are not getting scammed. A few tips include:
- Use a trusted site. The first thing you need to do is use a website that is trustworthy. For example, you should rely on a website that has seller protections put in place. That way, you know you are going to get paid even if the buyer turns out to be fake. If the website has great reviews, then you should feel comfortable using it to sell your items.
- Only meet in person if you must. If you need to meet with the buyer, always meet in person. Ideally, the buyer is willing to transmit payment electronically through the website. If this is not an option, then meet the buyer in person and choose a public location. That way, you can reduce the chances of getting scammed or harmed.
- Watch for red flags. Finally, you should watch for potential red flags when you are selling items online. Take a look at the profile of the buyer. If it looks relatively empty, this should be a concern. See if the buyer has any prior ratings. Make sure these are positive. If you ask the buyer to meet in person and the buyer refuses, this should be a red flag. Even though you want to make a sale, do not ignore these potential issues. The person could be trying to scam you.
How do you avoid fake buyers?
If you are concerned about running into fake buyers, the first thing you have to do is resist the urge to act immediately. Sometimes, someone will give you an offer to pressure you to make a decision right now. Take a deep breath, evaluate your offer, and see if this is someone you really want to be dealing with.
There are other tips you should follow as well when using any app to sell stuff. For example, do not give out your personal information under any circumstances.
Also, you need to make sure the buyer is going to use a payment method you prefer. Talk with the buyer and make sure you are familiar with whatever payment method they are going to use.
It’s also a good idea to check their ratings. Chances are that if someone has a number of consistently positive ratings, they’re likely to be legit. This includes due to the fact that they may not want to risk their high rating for one scammy transaction.
Finally, if you are not going to use a broker and want to exchange a sold item in-person, make sure you meet locally in a public location. This will make it easier for you to stay safe when you are meeting the individual.
If the person appears resistant to these conditions, then you may be dealing with a fake buyer. Safe to say, this is probably not someone you want to interact with.